Ken's Stuff


Ken%20Hor

Saturday, October 28, 2006

I screwed up too... sometimes

This is one of the cues that I was well-prepared, but I screwed up a little. I used Shakuhachi in this cue, and I wrote about 2 tones higher than it should be. Unlike flute and clarinet, Shakuhachi is very strict to its range and timbre change. I noticed it’s like recorder, the highest pitch can be clearly distinguished... but too late, I noticed that in the studio.

I already did some research, listened to some shakuhachi CDs, checked out the player that night and his past recordings (he recorded for the Last Samurai), made sure I understand the timber, especially the beautiful solo range... what can I say? A very big lesson - get 3 times more prepared than you should when you’re taking something serious. For me, once I take things seriously, I’ll get my ass kicked if I don’t make it...
Perhaps, I’m not strong enough.

I listened to Steve Mazzaro’s stuff. he is Doreen’s classmate. I felt I was hella small after listening his work. What have I done in LA? Ya, I did some gigs, regularly... but so what? I haven’t done something really big, written something I’m really proud of. I took too long to recover from the breakup. I often blamed the breakup swallowed up my inspiration. I didn’t try to tackle a higher destiny. After a year, I still haven’t got my 1st indie, not even the symphony score for NY... I’m still doing shorts and sometimes pop. Worst, getting gigs from KL... Well, hell yeah!

2 more months, 3 more the most, How far can I go? We’ll see. I gotta show my cards on my table, no shit.

No comments: