Ken's Stuff


Ken%20Hor

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Kevin and I

I hang out with Kevin yesterday, whole afternoon. He is still handsome, still very tall (There was once he almost knocked the lower ceiling in a practice room when he wanted to stand up to show me breathing. HAHA,!). We walked from Santa monica beach to Venice Beach... pretty crazy! then walked back to Santa monica, then to 3rd street. Whole aftenoon walking.

We talked a lot. Talked about his life, my life and my job here, his job in MPO, our friends, and many things about music and some about MPO and Malaysia, and music in our society. He has been in MPO for 8 years, one of the first principals when MPO was founded. But I noticed, he isn't given much chance to to work outside MPO, (as well as contribute to our society, although he really wants to contribute more) because of his working permit and status, also the contract with MPO. Sigh... what a big lost if he leaves.

He told me about MPO youth orchestra (I think there are few UPM students too), and he is happy about the progress and the arising standard. So sweet to hear that. He noticed the music scene is getting better in Malaysia, but sometimes disappointed especially there are not many audience attending their concerts, and when students aren't serious about playing or practicing.

He played with PJ Catholic High recently. he was very impressed with the performance and the students there. Happy to hear that. Show him my music, show him my film, he was impressed too, and was amazed every time a new track was played. He was also surprised when he listened to GET IT by Chern Hwei and his string duo. Totally stunned! He is proud of us as a person living in Malaysia. He is happy to see what I am doing now, although he was disappointed when I stopped playing tombone few years ago. We talked a little bit Malay. Sometimes he talked to me in Manglish.

I asked a lot of questions, some are questions I wanted to ask for long time. Asking about his music journey, what has him been through, how has he been practicing to achieve the level he is now at, and some personal stuff too. They were not easy to get through... I suppose I'm at the stage where he faced all kinda difficulties before he got an orchestral offer in south africa.

I will write for him once I go home, I promise, and I will do my very best. He's a good person, that kinda person who I respect sincerely.

Go to MPO, watch them, approach them, grab every chance that you can learn from them. They are the world-class musicians that you hear in overseas.

Kevin Thompson, Trombone principal of Malaysia Philharmonic Orchestra, was my trombone teacher back home in Malaysia.

No comments: