Ken's Stuff


Ken%20Hor

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Summer Dawn

I thought of my grand ma everytime I listened to this old work of mine. I wrote this for a class I took in UCLA, in summer 2 years ago around the same time as now, september, summer, and was done on monday early morning. my 2nd year in LA when I did this, my 2nd summer in Westwood. The music was then used in a gig i was working on in December the same year.


If the plugin doesn't work, try this - http://web.mac.com/hfken/iWeb/Music/Scores_files/SummerDawn.mp3

I like dawn, waiting for the 1st of light of the day. I actually wrote this for my grandmother. It didn't take me too long to come out with the theme and scratch, because the thought was so strong.

The beginning child-like theme is me infront of my grandma, she likes to listen me on piano. the main theme with groove is describing each time at which daylight first begins.... getting brighter when it goes to piano improvising with the main theme. the middle part piano solo is all about my grandma, her kindness, tenderness... then comes back to dawn theme, finally back to me playing piano as a child for her.

My family was going back to my hometown to visit her 5 years ago. I decided to stay at the very last minute for a small project. I didn't sleep that night for this project. I completed the mixing just before dawn. When I step out the room for a cigarette, a sudden light made me blink... i thought of grandma at that very moment.

She passed away in that morning...


_______________

Ok.... enough with sentimental thought... before it gets a bit corny. Ok.. did this all in Reason. played it in one by one...
The main theme is made up with Cm9 Cm13 Cm9 FM7/C then 2nd time go to 3 weird chords (they're hella beautiful for me)
Development part is sentimental like - Cm Fm7 Bb7 EbM7 AbM7 DbM7 Dm7 G(b13)...
ps: actually sometimes when you see me doing the piano solo part, not most of the time... I mean sometimes laaa... that means either I was lazy, which has been seldom, or I was rushing out work and I was running out of time... so just Hantam la. LOL.
then back to main theme again.
The idea is pretty simple - Intro (free time), Main theme, Development (free time), Main theme, Recap of Intro (free time).

So far this is the one I played my heart the best at the time I was working.

No comments: