Ken's Stuff


Ken%20Hor

Saturday, January 14, 2006

My old "report"

It's always fun to read your own sent email, A report for Martha last summer, my supevisor / lecturer years back in UPM. I still keep her updated as often as I can.

Why?

She is always a reminder for me to wok harder. she is my brightest mentor... her knowledge, thought, talent etc are always the level I am working hard to achieve.

She is a happy sagittarius though. I believe she is.
________________________________________________
Martha,

We'll Do Brunch
(Scene Taken from TV Series "Quantum Leap", EMG @ North Hollywood, Film Scoring 3, May 16, 05)
Brief: Pop [Flute, Oboe, Horn, Harp, Cello]



My latest works... 1st half, free timing conducitng at 60... 4 prep click at 60 then silent for free timing, refer to stop watch for time check and hit point, no click track (metronome) in my headphone and musicians'. after green streamer 2 clicks for preparation and go into 106 for 2nd half, with click track in ears.
very good experience. luckily learn proper conducting with professor zakhid before... didn't look like crab so far until now. :)

Hor FOOK KEN is very careless... did 4 bars more at the end. i can't resize it (speedy up to fit into scene) coz the harp will sound SUPER weird if i resize 2nd half. no choice. just fade out the last 4 bars, which is fine i think coz the show didn't go to commercial after this scene. Instrumentation is simple. This quarter is the 1st time for students handle the musicians by themselves. Craig, the instructor, won't help u in recording booth. he control the console outside and act like director or producer. pre-record (like MIDI) is allowed to mixdown with live recording.

Next one will be tough i suppose, only 3 one monkeys - clarinet, marimba and cello... no pre-record! (anyway, i never do pre-record because I don't have good sound samples here) many tempo changes to fit into the scene.... basically the scene is about a teenage witch who can transform to watery mercury and float around the room. key changes are expected. with that 3 totally different instruments... don't know what i can do.
Recording will be on next wednesday.

I went to a very big studio for Music Editing field trip yesterday night. learned a lot of stuffs
http://www.toddao.com/
Out of 20 top TV shows, they did 12, including CSI, CSI miami, Kill bill, elf, etc
WOW!!!

There are not many musicians or composers in my class, most of them are new or engineers. I talked to the managing directors, very nice person.

My report... Ciao..

The MP3
Click here Lets Do Brunch

Watch the scene
Fade out to fit into the scene :( No choice

No comments: